Location: Netherlands or France / Italy / United Kingdom / Belgium
About the Europeana Foundation
The Europeana Foundation is an independent non-profit organization that operates the Europeana platform and contributes to other digital initiatives that make good use of cultural heritage around the world. Our work facilitates the use of cultural heritage for education, research and entertainment, which contributes to developing an open, informed and creative society.
With staff based in five countries, our international team operates in a hybrid work culture. Our team based in the Netherlands has the option of coming to work in our offices or working remotely. Our main office is based at the National Library of the Netherlands, next to The Hague Central Station.
Our teams based in France, Italy, UK and Belgium are working entirely remotely from there.
You can work for us if you have a valid work permit to work in one of these five countries.
The Visual/Web Designer is responsible for coordinating and producing designs for various media (web and print), ensuring that all work adheres to overall organizational brand standards and creative goals. The role will work within an agile team collaborating with a product designer and developers to create a unique visual experience for Europeana.eu. This application provides online access to cultural heritage documents collected from thousands of European museums, galleries, libraries and archives. The Visual/Web Designer will also support other teams with their design needs.
- Contribute ideas and solutions to achieve the design goal
- Produce efficient, high-quality designs that reinforce the Europeana brand
- Support colleagues in their design needs by advising them on best practices and aesthetics
- Maintain and further develop brand guidelines ensuring they are current and fully rounded
Knowledge and experience required
- A recognized university degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience as a visual/web designer
- Excellent working knowledge of CSS / HTML / JS
- Hands-on web design experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Figma and Adobe XD
- Ability to communicate design principles, concepts and ideas
- Understanding of usability and accessibility principles
- Hands-on experience designing responsive web and mobile applications
- Experience working with a visual style guide
- Good written and spoken English
Salary and benefits
- A monthly salary between 2,800 and 3,700 EUR (based on full-time employment), depending on your level of experience
- 8% holiday pay and a thirteenth month bonus
- A full-time 12-month CDD, with possibility of extension
- 42 days vacation per year (based on full-time employment)
- A pension plan will be based on the country you work from, if applicable
- An inspiring work environment and an international organizational culture
- A hybrid working model with the option to work in the office or remotely (for staff based in the Netherlands)
- We provide a company laptop and offer a WFH stipend to offset monthly work-from-home costs
- Compensation for travel expenses for people based in the Netherlands
- For staff based in France, Italy, the United Kingdom or Belgium: incidental travel to the Netherlands will be reimbursed (1 to 2 times per year)
How to register
- The position is open until filled
- You must have a valid work permit to work in the Netherlands, France, Italy, UK or Belgium
- If you are interested in this position, please send your Curriculum Vitae plus a cover letter, both in English to [email protected]
The Europeana Foundation is committed to respecting the principles of diversity, inclusiveness, non-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities for all applicants.