ABOUT THE IMPACT DEPARTMENT
Internews’ Impact department sits within the Technical Leadership Unit (TLU) and comprises three interrelated teams – Knowledge and Learning, Research and Monitoring and Evaluation. Together they support Internews in achieving its goal of being the most efficient and impactful organization in the media assistance industry.
They do this by developing strong theories of change at program, portfolio and global level; collect, analyze and report performance data; produce research and information about the rapidly changing information ecosystems in which we work; elevate the needs of the partners we support to help design programs, support thought leadership and influence policy; conduct evaluations that measure the effectiveness and impact of our work; and create processes, products and platforms to support internal learning and drive engagement of staff, partners and external stakeholders. We work in all areas, placing a high value on daily experiential learning as well as strong research with academic partners.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Program Officer, Knowledge and Learning (SPO) is a key position in the Impact team, working to surface and elevate knowledge across the organization and fertilize internal expertise to support the development of guidance and methodologies that may be beneficial for wider Internews projects. The ideal candidate is passionate about learning, picky about organizing information, and incredibly collaborative. The SO is responsible for ensuring that the corporate intranet (the HIVE) serves as a robust and user-friendly platform for knowledge retention and management of key knowledge management functions to ensure knowledge sharing. and expertise across the organization.
This is a remote position.
All remote applicants will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your area which does not require Internews sponsorship. Additionally, there are locations where Internews is unable to support fully remote working.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find international recruitment solutions that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the details of the offer for a position will depend on several factors, and the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location and where the position is. hiring.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested applicants are encouraged to apply early.
It is preferred to fill this position internally within Internews.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and eager to support positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage applicants of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national backgrounds to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAILY TASKS will include:
Intranet and information architecture
- Serve as leader of HIVE, Internews’ intranet, including creating, overseeing, supporting and posting a variety of content.
- Lead the technical and operational management and configuration of the HIVE by:
- Coordinate a team of senior HIVE administrators and content administrators from all Internews offices and departments; and
- Working closely with the Technology Solutions team, included punctual supervision of the HIVE Manager and Business Operations Librarian, as well as consultants, who provide SharePoint technical support.
- In collaboration with the Director of Knowledge and Learning, ensure that taxonomies and naming conventions are consistent and in line with HIVE guidelines.
- Perform periodic reviews of the use of HIVE and other knowledge management systems, using human-centered design techniques to ensure the needs of our project staff are being met by our systems.
- Manage the HIVE knowledge hub, including adding new expertise pages and methodologies, proactively engaging with colleagues across the organization, and suggesting changes/updates to stay innovative.
- Oversee and respond to the Knowledge Desk ticket system, answer questions and source resources for program teams.
- Maintain a high quality of visual design and usability for any tool or product intended for use by Internews staff.
- Use user-centered design strategies to accomplish the above and ensure that all solutions are designed for the end user.
- Host regular webinars to help staff navigate and contribute to the HIVE Knowledge Center.
- Across all functions, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to Internews core values.
Creation of knowledge products
- Guided by our Pathway to Knowledge Product process, provide guidance and support to program teams in the development of new learning products, such as methodologies, toolkits and curricula, with relevant technical experts at within or outside Internews; lead the development of tools as requested.
- Innovate and pilot new approaches to knowledge sharing and internal learning in collaboration with other TLU colleagues and Internews staff.
- Monitor use of knowledge products to determine when strategies need to be adjusted for better adoption.
- Conduct research on new thematic areas and ideas, including creating position papers, scouting for talent, and facilitating internal and external discussions and learnings.
- Support the development of proposals in areas related to knowledge and learning.
- Create project communication materials as needed, such as two-pagers, presentations, position papers, etc.
- Manage the Knowledge Series, a dynamic online webinar space featuring partners and thematic topics of interest to Internews and its mission, and iterate as needed and based on feedback.
- Organize Internews Film Club (IFC) screenings and post-screening discussions in partnership with the Director of FilmAid.
- Facilitate After Action Reviews, as requested, and compile lessons learned from these review sessions.
- Provide technical support to field projects according to capacities/requests and depending on sector expertise; cross various internal expertise.
- Collaborate with colleagues from different departments on the continuous improvement and further implementation of the Internews learning framework.
- Provide contributions to quarterly internal knowledge and learning newsletters.
QUALIFICATIONS WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Relevant university degree or equivalent experience required
- 3-5 years of development project experience, including field experience
- Highly organized project manager with the ability to prioritize competing demands, meet deadlines, and manage and motivate team members to do the same
- Demonstrated excellence in professional written and verbal communication skills and understanding of how to adapt one’s message to different audiences; preferred additional languages
- Knowledge of the media development sector and global news landscape/challenges
- Experience in supporting the development of learning products with subject matter experts, such as methodologies, curricula, webinars, toolkits, etc.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating learning events, such as webinars, surveys, internal focus groups, etc.
- Hands-on experience creating systems and processes designed to capture and disseminate knowledge
- SharePoint administration experience preferred
- Experience in creating and maintaining taxonomies and file/data collection processes
- Superior analytical, organizational, editing and writing skills
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize with a changing workload
- Proven ability to function effectively in a multicultural environment
To note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and eager to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Web design experience; Layout and design skills
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing an asset
- Familiarity with Office 365 tools including Outlook, Teams and Yammer
- Experience writing proposals
How to register
To apply, please send a CV and possibly a cover letter via our careers page.