Perform design and rationale responsibilities in the development of pilot control systems, throttle control systems, actuation systems and related flight control products for the next generation of business, regional aircraft , military and air transport. Engineering tasks will cover the entire product lifecycle, from initial design and capture of requirements to manufacturing and testing of the system.
Essential tasks and responsibilities:
• Development of requirements, validation and justification of the conformity of the design
• Conceptual studies of electromechanical architectures
• Provide expert input and advice for the design and development of competitive electromechanical actuation system solutions
• Mechanical design, analysis, troubleshooting and examination of components, sub-assemblies and assemblies.
• Work closely with stress engineers to ensure robust designs
• System performance assessments in steady state and transient conditions and commercial studies
• Fully understands and masters project management, technical documentation requirements and technical analysis tools.
• Verification / Planning of tests, development and execution
• Coordination with manufacturing operations for the fidelity of production processes
• Scope, budget and schedule management
• In-depth knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, policies and compliance requirements.
• Ability to communicate effectively and present status, actions, recommendations and other technical information with clarity and precision.
Required Skills :
o Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering from an accredited institution. Masters Degree (MS) preferred.
o Minimum of 10 years of engineering experience performing electromechanical tasks
o Legally permitted to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship
o This position requires the use of information or access to material, which is subject to International Arms Trafficking Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be US nationals as defined by ITAR. ITAR defines a US person as a US citizen, US permanent resident (that is, a “green card holder”), political asylum, or refugee.
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience in motor selection and / or sizing and implementation of gear trains (spur gear, worm gear, ball screw, rack and pinion, etc.)
• Tolerance and clearance analyzes, in particular using GD&T
• Demonstrated experience in the selection of references and the application of geometric dimensioning and tolerance
• Kinematic and kinetic design and analysis
• Free creation of body diagrams
• Understanding of the environmental effects (thermal, vibration, etc.) on the mechanical design
• Statistical distributions and analyzes
• Experience in material selection and component sizing
• Experience in the field of feedback control systems, integrated system / interface design
• Demonstrated experience in the design of actuation mechanisms / systems or other similar electromechanical systems
• Experience in aerospace development processes
• Proficiency in the use of NX (8.5 / 10.5) for product design or other similar CAD tools
• Must be a proven initiative spirit requiring minimal supervision, with excellent foresight and problem solving skills
o In carrying out the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit down; use the hands to touch, manipulate, touch and speak or hear. The employee is often required to reach with the hands and arms. Sometimes the employee is required to stand and walk.
o The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include near vision.
o The noise level in the working environment is generally quiet.
Safran is an international high-tech group, present in the aeronautics (propulsion, equipment and interior), defense and space markets. Its main objective is to contribute to a safer and more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran is present worldwide with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its main markets. Safran conducts research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran is in first place in the Forbes 2020 ranking of Best Employers in the World for its sector.
Safran Electronics & Defense is one of the world’s leading suppliers of products and services providing observation, decision and guidance functions for civil and military applications. The company understands and applies a wide range of cutting-edge technologies that underpin embedded intelligence in many different fields, as a provider of some of today’s most innovative aerospace and defense programs.