Seventeen Minuteman High School students received medals at SkillsUSA Massachusetts District Skills Competitions this month.
More than 370,000 vocational and technical students participate in SkillsUSA competitions nationwide each year. Students demonstrate proficiency in their technical career study areas, employability, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration safety guidelines.
A total of 56 Minuteman students representing 13 career technical education majors competed. Of the 17 students who won medals, 6 received gold, 8 silver and 3 bronze. The gold and silver medalists will continue to compete in the States competition at Blackstone Valley Vocational Technical High School on April 29.
Minuteman’s SkillsUSA faculty advisors Kristina Juzyn and Denise D’Ambrosia took photos of the students as they let them know they had won medals to get some candid reactions. The students were thrilled when they heard the news.
The winning students are:
- River Araujo at the additive manufacturing competition. Araujo is a 10th grade engineering student from Acton.
- Alexis Farrow at the additive manufacturing competition. Farrow is a 10th year engineering student from Needham.
- Casey King in the CNC (Computer Numeric Control) Turning Contest. King is an 11th grade Advanced Manufacturing student from Lexington.
- Laryssa Maia at the culinary arts competition. Maia is a 10th year Culinary Arts student from Belmont.
- Marc-André Noel in the Plumbing competition. Noel is an 11th grade plumbing student from Medford.
- Olivia O’Neill at the carpentry competition. O’Neill is an 11th grade carpentry student from Lexington.
- Annie Brosnan at the carpentry competition. Brosnan is an 11th grade carpentry student from Arlington.
- Maria-Eduarda DaSilva at the Early Education competition. DaSilva is a 12th grade preschool and education student from Arlington.
- Amalia Findeis in the Commercial Baking contest. Findeis is an 11th year Culinary Arts and Hospitality student from Belmont.
- Koi Green in the computer programming contest. Green is a 12th grade programming and web development student from Arlington.
- Charles Pressey at the CNC milling competition. Pressey is a 10th year Advanced Manufacturing student from Belmont.
- Lyra Saucier in the Advertising Design competition. Saucier is an 11th year design and visual communications student from Acton.
- Ojas Thakur at the Automotive Service Technology competition. Thakur is a 12th year automotive technology student from Acton.
- Bradley Winters at the CNC turning contest. Winters is a 12th grade advanced manufacturing student from Lexington.
- Connor Mackenzie in the Web Design competition. Mackenzie is an 11th year programming and web development student from Watertown.
- Sophia Magdaleno at the First Aid/CPR competition. Magdaleno is an 11th grade health aide student from Stow.
- Bud Patterson in the Web Design competition. Patterson is an 11th year programming and web development student from Bolton.
March 4, 2022: Arlington Minuteman alumnus wins on Food Network show
This announcement was posted on Monday, March 21, 2022. Your Arlington volunteer, Kim Haase, helped edit and prepare this post.